Saturday, June 27, 2020

Life & Art During Covid 19 - Part 3

This is the third in a series of photos I took while on walks with friends while escaping from 'sheltering in place' during the coronoavirus that has so changed the world. The previous posts reflected the joy, creativity, and, also yes, the political angst, people had getting out among others in these troubled times. I hope the following photos will make you smile at some of the fun and unusual moments I captured.

May 22nd: My friend and morning walking buddy, Darlene, and I passed by this grove in the open space west of Pierce many a time as it was near her home. It was intriguing watching the trees' changes over the space of a month. I don't know what trees they were but they always reminded me of bamboo trees Steven and I had seen on our travels.


It was always fun coming across this bench beyond the trees as nearby residents 'decorated' it frequently with rocks and inspirational sayings, something that never happened pre-pandemic.


Later that day, my afternoon walking buddy and friend, Gail, and I couldn't help but smile seeing the 'bear' clinging to the tree in the southern part of our neighborhood, Columbine Knolls South/Estates in Littleton.


I confess to never being a big dog lover but this one was awfully cute!




These pretty pink tulips were another harbinger of spring's beauty.


Before my 'pandemic strolls' I don't ever recall seeing Colorado's flag anywhere but on state buildings. Since I'd begun exploring neighborhoods near and far from my home with mainly Darlene and Gail, I noticed many homes were proud to fly the state flag.



May 23rd: I am not up in my classics to know whether Plato really penned this but seeing this on the trail at Wayside Meadows Park in our subdivision made me appreciate someone more cultured than I!



Gail and I also saw these unusual variety of day lilies that afternoon.


May 24th: With Steven busy on household projects that had been put on hold for a long time and my walking both mornings and afternoons in between catching up on trip blogs, he and I rarely got out to walk together. When we did that night, the normally placid creek at Wayside had swollen its banks due to a sudden storm.


The trail on the southwest side of the park was impassable so we had to take the long way back home, retracing our steps.


Several days earlier, Gail and I had walked through the graffiti-filled culvert under Wadsworth but Steven and I weren't temped that night!



Years ago, a landscaper recommended we plant these purple salvia against our fence. What a great suggestion as they were there the perfect plant for those who travel a lot like we do as they require almost no TLC and continue to bloom!


May 25th: I rather liked this piece of Americana.


Why be content with just one birdhouse if you can have more, seemed to be the motto of these homeowners!






May 26th: I have probably seen this 'sunburst' close to a dozen times when walking near Darlene's home and every time I like it more and more. Do you think the homeowners might notice if one rock were to 'accidentally' go missing every couple of days so it could be recreated somewhere else?!!




In case you think Gail and I don't live in the Wild West, here's proof!


The flowering bushes along Pierce looked so attractive until I got close and purposely took a whiff. And then, I almost gagged as they smelled ghastly, remember Gail?!


May 27th: 'Grandpa's Garden' at a home on Moraine in the adjacent Columbine West neighborhood was well loved as no doubt were his grandchildren if these lupines were an example. They inspired me to look for some of the perennials at a nursery a few days later!


Back in our neighborhood, Charlotte's flowers caught my eye.





The two C's: Columbine flowers and the Colorado flag at the rock garden on Moraine in our neighborhood.



I hope people will continue to paint and display rocks for all to admire even when the pandemic is but a distant memory because they bring such joy to others.


In case you forgot how much I loved lupines!



Our next door neighbors, Dave and Ginny, have some of the most exquisite peonies. When Gail knew how much I loved them, she kindly brought over a lovely bouquet of them for me from her garden. I was sad when I finally had to toss them when leaving for our current road trip to San Francisco and the northwest. 


Another stormy night at West Laurel Park directly across the street from our home:



May 28th: The smiley rock was new to the bench that morning in the open space west of Pierce that I walked with Darlene. Every time we walked there, I wondered what might be new to surprise us.


That afternoon, these wispy grasses caught my eye when walking with Gail.






I bet Wizard of Oz fans lived here!


A few days earlier if you recall, this same home had a black bear clinging to the tree. The residents must have had a large stuffed animal collection they wanted to display!


May 29th: I wonder if  the residents at this home in the southern part of our neighborhood had a family member serving our country, or were especially patriotic because of Memorial Day which had just past. Whatever the reason, I applaud their public recognition of the thanks we all owe the selfless patriots.


Next post: The last in this series of photos of Life & Art During Covid 19. 

I am simultaneously writing the last posts from two trips Steven and I took, one to Ireland and the UK last fall, and a much shorter one to Sri Lanka and India in March that was planned to have been four months long and take us through much of Asia and the Middle East. IF you want a change of pace and locale, here are links to the most recent posts from each trip:

Posted on June 27th, 2020, from along the Columbia River Gorge  in The Dalles, Oregon, as we slowly wend our way through the Northwest's most beautiful national parks en route home. Please take care and be safe.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful neighbourhood, lots of lovely flowers, and even more walking. How fit you must be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours, love the caring messages and love these tours !
    xo Lina xo

    ReplyDelete