Friday, July 7, 2023

Our Love Story Featured on CNN!

September 2013: At the 131-ft.-tall, 250-ton stainless steel Chingiss Khan monument near Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.


October 2014: Atop Jordan's highest mountain, Jabal Um Addami, with Saudi Arabia in the background.


November 2015: Inle Lake, Myanmar.


In the last post, I wrote about my medical journey that began when I slipped on some mud in northern Guatemala's Tikal National Park on September 30, 2022, and is still ongoing. However, the day before that, when Steven and I were visiting Belize City, Belize, CNN Travel published a long story about how we had met in a "long lineup, in a small bank, in a small town in Mexico" as we like to tell people how we met on St. Patrick's Day, 1981. I'm sure you're wondering why our love story might be worthy of mention in the Chance Encounters series of articles written by CNN journalist Francesca Street?

November 2016: Wadi Bani Khalid, Oman.


November 2017: Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia.


September 2018: On our 3-day horse trek in Kyrgyzstan.

                                                                                

November 2019: Weddell Seals by Damoy Point, Antarctica.


December 2020: The infamous border wall near Tucson, Arizona.

Just click on CNN travel berger to read what I think is a very inspiring tale of two people from very different backgrounds and countries meeting in a third country for just four days and trying to decide whether I would move to Steven's adopted hometown of Denver or he would relocate to my hometown of Ottawa. Toss in some very severe medical challenges, especially when you consider these took place in early 1981, and I think you'll enjoy reading our incredible tale of love and travel that has taken us to almost 100 countries and all the continents.

Here's the CNN lede: "They fell in love in Mexico in 1981. Four months later she was diagnosed with cancer...

December 2021: Paradise on Bora Bora, French Polynesia.

Next post: College Fjord and Glacier Bay National Park back in Alaska.

Posted on July 7th, 2023 from Denver's suburbs where we broke last month's 150-year-old record for rain. You'd never know that Denver normally has more sun than Miami or San Diego, would you?! Please take care of yourself and your loved ones.

12 comments:

  1. Annie, thank you so much for including me on your beautiful love story. It was so interesting to read about all the amazing places you and Stephan have visited. I did not realize, when I first met you how horrific your accident in Guatemala was. Annie, you will overcome this injury and your life will go on and on with all of Stephans love and your wonderful children. Your love of travel will continue. God Bless You love Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat, for your words of support and encouragement. Getting back to the great group of people in the therapy pool is all the incentive I need!

      Delete
  2. Yours is truly the MOST romantic story epitomizing the phrase "Love Conquers all" . I know everyone who hears /sees/ reads about your story will be inspired by your strength, your courage, your relentless sense of adventure and mostly your forever love.

    The photos are absolutely AMAZING ,

    Heading to PEI early tomorrow morning; will touch base when I return,
    With love,
    xo Lina xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lina, for your incredibly kind words about the cancer journey. I thank my lucky stars you were there with me every step of the way literally from the moment I was diagnosed at The Civic eons ago. Thanks also for the sweet comments about the photos - that meant a lot as I agonized over which ONE photo to choose from each many country trip each year.

      Delete
  3. An inspiring story indeed! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. That straight line is a long one and is cumulative. Add to that the genetic factor that we siblings suffer from a lack of bone density. To use a common phrase you were “a perfect storm” for something like this to happen.
    Thinking of you.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I failed to acknowledge our family predisposition to issues with bone density, John.

      Delete
  5. Laura, I loved how you coined the new word 'ordventure' as it describes exactly what I have gone through and will continue to deal with ahead. However, with the support of you and so many others, the days will be much easier. The lure of getting back to your fantastic classes as quickly as possible will give me the extra push I need.Thanks for being both a teacher and friend, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful story, thank you for sharing. You've lead an incredible life encompassing a full range of emotions, highs, lows, and everything in between. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to mention, I shared the CNN link to your story on our FB page @oneroadatatime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, thanks for reading our love story - I hope it brings hope to others facing their own challenges. I also appreciate your spreading the link to others who would not otherwise know of this Chance Encounter series on CNN.

    ReplyDelete